Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cinnamon Chip Hot Chocolate Mix


I woke up this morning and there was a definite nip in the air. For those of you that don't live in the very deep South, you have probably had several weeks of such weather already this season. As soon as there's even a slight chill in the air, I start to crave hot chocolate. I stumbled on this recipe while searching for recipes to use the cinnamon chips I'd just bought. Have you tried cinnamon chips yet? If not go get some right away! A word of warning though, if you are like me and lack self restraint, buy them at you own risk. It's hard to resist just eating those little guys right from the bag...in one sitting. Really! For a cinnamon lover like myself they are down right addictive. I catch myself grabbing a handful every time I walk near the kitchen. Anyway, I found this recipe for cinnamon hot chocolate mix and had to give it a try. Luckily I didn't need an entire bag of chips to make this recipe, as let's just say the bag wasn't quite full anymore. 
I'm so glad I made this hot chocolate. It's fantastic. Rich cocoa with a cinnamon kick makes this the perfect beverage for a cool Fall day.

The recipe is for a dry hot chocolate mix. You make the mix up and keep it in an airtight container. All that's needed is a cup of boiling water and you can have a rich cinnamon-y mug of cocoa anytime! 
This hot chocolate could also serve as a hostess or teachers gift. Double or triple the recipe and divide the hot chocolate mix into mason jars. Tie the jars with a cute ribbon, add a tag or label with instructions and it's gift giving ready!      


Cinnamon Chip Hot Chocolate Mix
SOURCE: cdkitchen, by: ChefSageCook

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup sugar
1 cup good quality cocoa powder
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup cinnamon flavored chips
2 teaspoons kosher salt
whipped cream for topping, optional

METHOD:
Put the sugar, cocoa powder, powdered milk, cinnamon flavored chips and salt in a large bowl. Combine well with a spoon. Pour into an airtight container to store. I used a quart jar

For a single serving, scoop 1/3 cup of the mix into a mug and pour 1 cup boiling water over it. Stir until the cinnamon chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Top with whipped cream, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, and chocolate curls, if desired! Serve immediately.


Linked to Tidy Mom's link party, I"m Lovin It Fridays


6 comments:

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

I make a new version of hot cocoa mix every year, this might have to be next!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great idea and lovely mix!

Cheers,

Rosa

grace said...

perhaps you had suspicions that i'd be all over this, and you'd be right. amazing!

Magnolia Mom said...

This looks so yummy! I love the cooler weather. Too bad it doesn't last but just a few days.

Visiting from Alabama Women Bloggers. :)

Kerri E said...

Where did you find the cinnamon chips?

Half Baked said...

@ Kerri E
The chips I used are made by Hershey's. I found them at WalMart. I would think most grocery stores would carry them this time of the year. :)