Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Saltine Toffee Bars

AKA: crack

Seriously this stuff should probably come with a warning. I've heard that some people become addicted to crack after just one use. I don't know about crack, but these toffee bars had me addicted after just one bite. They are sweet, salty, chocolatly, caramley, crunchy...in short, delicious! Everything that I love about toffee with the added salty crunch from the saltine cracker. The list of ingredients for these bars may leave you somewhat unimpressed. If you've never had them before, you maybe be thinking; saltine crackers, really?!? I know, it's kind of odd and  not a very exciting sounding ingredient. I've heard these bars referred to as trailer trash toffee. If you make them, you'll wonder how you've lived your life without them and won't care what they're called.
Most times in baking, you have to put in a good bit of time/effort to achieve results this scrumptious. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately!) these saltine toffee bars are so easy and quick to make, you can feed your addiction anytime.

Saltine Toffee Bars

Ingredients:
1-1/2 sleeves of saltine crackers
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.


 Arrange the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet so that there are no empty spaces in between them. Crush a few remaining crackers into small crumbs, to be used as topping, and set aside for now.
 Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir while the butter melts, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Once boiling, carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers on the baking sheet in an even layer, trying to cover most of the crackers. If you miss some spots, don’t worry as the toffee will spread in the oven.



Bake the toffee crackers at 350 degrees for five minutes, until the toffee is bubbling all over. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for one minute.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the hot toffee, and allow them to sit for one minute to soften and melt. Once softened, use an offset spatula or knife to spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface of the toffee in an even layer. 

While the chocolate is still sticky, sprinkle the top with the reserved crushed crackers, chopped nuts, sprinkles or any combination of the three.
Top the bars with nuts, crushed crackers, even sprinkles!


Topped with yellow and orange sprinkles, they're perfect for Fall/Halloween parties!


Refrigerate the pan to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, break into small uneven pieces by hand, and enjoy! Store uneaten saltine toffee in an airtight container for up to a week.

Just don't blame me if you find yourself addicted!


10 comments:

Eliana said...

What an awesome idea. These bars look delicious!

Anonymous said...

One of my friend's mom used to make these for us all of the time when we were in high school. Now I make them, especially at Christmas. You are totally right at how addicting they are!

Spryte said...

Ok... those look impossibly easy! I'll have to give them a try!

Karen said...

Finally, a recipe I've made for years! I guess Hubbs didn't remember Christmases past. I'm always so in awe of your talents, but it is nice to know oldies are goodies too! Thanks.

Karen said...

Finally, a recipe I've made for years! I guess Hubbs didn't remember Christmases past. I'm always so in awe of your talents, but it is nice to know oldies are goodies too! Thanks.

Karen said...

Finally, a recipe I've made for years! I guess Hubbs didn't remember Christmases past. I'm always so in awe of your talents, but it is nice to know oldies are goodies too! Thanks.

Honey B's Sweet Indulgence said...

Wow...it looks so delish....thanks for the recipe...I'm your newest follower....

Sweet Indulgent Hugs,

Honey B

Honey B's Sweet Indulgence said...

Wow...it looks so delish....thanks for the recipe...I'm your newest follower....

Sweet Indulgent Hugs,

Honey B

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

We made them and they were eaten really quick. So delicious.

Natasha and Jesse said...

I had forgotten about this recipe, but they are really good- addictive like you say!